7 January 2010

EPIPHANY

Visually, a lovely Epiphany at S Thomas's. Heavy falls of Global Warming overnight left the church and churchyard looking magical. But the drifts did rather reduce the numbers in the 12.30 congregation. However, it was nice to be told by one worshipper what a pleasure it had been to walk down the towpath to such a church for such a rite (we were Latin EF).

Then today Pam and I bashed the Climate Change off the yew beside the porch so that we could remove the Christmass decorations. On top of the porch was an almost perfectly-formed ball of snow perching above the heraldic bearings of my distinguished predecessor Robert ('Melancholy') Burton (I have a lot of distinguished predecessors; students of Aristophanic satire will know what I mean when I say that my own name at the end of the list sounds like a piece of Terminal Bathos).

A Happy Christmass to those keeping Christmass according to the directions of the Council of Nicea.*

.........................................................................................................................................................

*yes, I know this is an obscure question.

2 comments:

Figulus said...

Okay, I'll bite. How does one keep Christmas according to the Council of Nicea?

Rubricarius said...

Figulus

Julian Calendar Christmass.

I went to a very pleasant Christmass dinner party last night - six courses of delicious food and was delighted that our esteemed Blog Host's name cropped up in conversation - in highly complimentary terms of course - from a guest from St. Gabriel's, Pimlico.

Sadly, I couldn't find a lawn meet this morning.